Tires, why do we need them anyway?
Well, besides the part that running on steel rims or shiny aluminum wheels is neither safe nor comfortable, tires can make a huge difference how a car handles various driving conditions. Tire can also elevate or destroy driver confidence while handling the vehicle.
A low budget tire may not be suitable for mid to high end cars due to their low profile sizes and the level of performance.
So, what’s our take on tires?
Stick with one of the mid to major brands. Not saying you can’t be adventurous, but bigger tire companies usually go through a strict testing procedure before releasing them to the public.
- Check the reviews on the TireRack website, read what their test drivers say and what experience actual customers have.
- Where does the tire of you choice have its weakness and strength?
- Long life or good performance? Here in the south with the high heat and humidity, a tire which may last 60-80k miles may be worn out before it reaches the expected mileage due to the damaging sunrays and the decomposing nature of any rubber component.
- In order to last, they are also produced with a harder compound, which takes away from the ride comfort and performance level.
- We like tires which perform well throughout a lifespan of approx. 40-50k miles.
- And we know you heard it plenty of times……check your tire pressure regularly! Low tire pressure will result in poor drivability (shimmy in the steering wheel or drifting to either side may be the result) and can potentially be dangerous.
How to search for tires and information on TireRack
Visit TireRack.com, select the tire of your choice by either entering you cars information, or typing in the tire size manually.
Narrow your search by various performance levels (from strictly summer tires to all season tires).
You can have your tires shipped directly to our shop (we are one of their certified installers), which takes the hassle out of waiting at home for UPS to arrive and handling a set of 4 tires (their weight can range from 18lbs to over 40lbs each).
If you are not comfortable or unsure about your selection, talk to us! Some tires we use on our cars, so we have some idea how certain brands perform.